Why TERNET Bandwidth Service
- TERNET bandwidth is from Africaconnect2 project managed by Ubuntunet Alliance specifically for research and education purposes. Being one of TERNET members and connected to TERNET network, you benefit from regional collaborations in education and research.
- Africanconnect2 project link is not connected to local broadband providers; it terminates at Seacom PoP and goes to GEANT network in Europe where most research and education links meet. You might want to read more on this page about the benefits of being part of the GEANT network.
- The link is on a protected circuit (it is insured) therefore in case of any link breakdown to Europe we are automatically moved to redundant links. This means high link reliability, if the last-mile provider (from your institution to TERNET) is reliable as well. TERNET has collaborated with reliable last-mile providers and guarantee reliable last-mile connection if you decide to use TERNET partner provider. Based on the feedback we get from our members who are using our providers, we are confident with the reliability they provide.
- With TERNET partner provider, you get a dedicated last-mile link (not shared with other customers along the way) which means less latency/delay to you.
- Connectivity costs keep dropping from time to time and at TERNET, we keep ourselves updated with the current prices and negotiate with last-mile providers accordingly.
- IP addresses given by TERNET are identified by AFRINIC (the IP registry for Africa) and the rest of the world for research and education purposes. Therefore, using these IP addresses give you free access to publications and other online resources that are categorized for research and education and use IP address system to identify research and education institutions.
To get the service, please click Join us under the "membership" menu