TERNET PROTOCOL VERSION 6 (IPv6) LAUNCHING
Tanzania Education and Research Network launched IPv6 to all members of education and research community
The primary objective of IPv6 allowing more unique IP address identifiers to be created for the explosion of smartphones, tablets, IoT (Internet of Things) devices, wearables and other Internet-enabled devices, fundamentally altering the way people, organizations and governments are connected around the world.
Some benefit of IPV6 includes
- Increase the network performance since no switching delays especially in real time protocols.
- No more NAT (Network Address Translation). With IPv6, every device can have its own unique IP address, which eliminates the need for NAT.
- Simplify the use of tunneling.
- Simplify network troubleshooting since the end-to-end IPV6 traceability of the packets is much easier.
- Enable the functionality of several internet protocols and applications based on end-to-end addressing from the source to the destination.
- Minimal usage of devices’ processors and memory since no translation needed for all incoming and outgoing IPv6 datagram/packets.